January 25, 2012

Precious!

I've been wanting to learn to crochet for awhile, partly because I feel I should master (in some form) all of the needle/yarn/string arts (I already cross-stitch, and I used to embroider.  I feel so old-timey!)

I have to admit, though, that my main reason for wanting to learn to crochet is amigurumi.  They are so stinkin' cute.  I mean, look:

 From Lion Brand Yarns
 From Lion Brand Yarns
From Lion Brand Yarns

ADORABLE! And there are way more than that out there in the world.  I MUST MAKE THEM.

At a Knit Night several months ago, one of the lovely ladies showed me how to chain and then turn and go back across (single crochet), so I can pretty much make a sqaure.  Obviously it's not perfectly even or anything, but hey, at least I can do it.

Last night, I got sucked into watching videos about crochet, and then amigurumi, on YouTube, and it doesn't seem terribly hard.  I even practiced starting a round and increasing, which made me feel super awesome.  I predict that an amigurumi kitty is in my near future.

For anyone else out there who's into cutesy crochet projects, here are some of the videos I consulted in my adventures last night:
  • mikeyssmail: Lesson 1-How to Crochet.  This gentleman has a whole bunch of videos, and this is one of six lessons which show you how to single, double, half double and triple crochet (you should check them all out).  His instructions are super helpful, and the video is very clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment