Despite fate's numerous attempts to thwart me, I persevered and finished my monster just in time for my friend's baby shower. I am pleased to report that he was much admired.
This is Baldwin the Bathroom Monster from The Big Book of Knitted Monsters by Rebecca Danger. I used Knit Picks Stroll in the colorway Cartoons, and a size 2 needle for a sort of "mini" monster--he was about 5 inches tall. I "embroidered" his face since he was for a baby--that was quite the adventure. It took me hours to get his eyes somewhat even, and to get his "teeth" big enough that it didn't look like a weird mustache. It has been many years since I embroidered anything, but the crookedness adds a sort of charm.
For future monsters, one thing I need to practice is my whip stitch for limb attachment; mine looked messy. I also tried to use whip stitch to close up his bottom, but it looked TERRIBLE, so I ended up doing an invisible seam. It's not perfect, but its way better than the horrid whip stitch was!* Looking at it now, I don't think I did it quite right--oh well!
At any rate, I have wanted an excuse to knit one of these guys since I first saw the book, and am glad I finally got the chance. I'm also super excited to have finally finished a knitted toy--something I've wanted to do since I stumbled upon Little Cotton Rabbits blog several years ago. More of these guys might have to start popping up in the hands of people I know very soon.
*I have now realized I was doing the whip stitch incorrectly, so that was probably part of my problem. A seamstress I am not.